Monday, June 23, 2008

Changes of Plans and Excitement

Saturday night, for the first time in my life, I had Beluga Caviar. I have to say, it was quite tasty; not $400 an ounce tasty, but still, it had a serious yum factor.

Let me explain how the caviar thing all got started: A bunch of us were supposed to go to GW Fins for dinner on Saturday, but problems started to occur. First, Matt and Katie both were sick with some kind of serious hangover, so they backed out. Then, the twin spans were shut down, so the Research Scientist had to go through Mandeville to get here, and she was running late. I called the restaurant to see if I could push back my reservations, and they said they were so booked that they could only do fifteen minutes. So I cancelled the reservations and decided we'd go to Sake Cafe on Magazine.

We get to Sake, and lo and behold, my first favorite sushi chef, Hao, was behind the bar! He has just moved back from California and is now the head chef at Sake. Let's just say that after he found out it was my birthday, certain high quality items began mysteriously arriving in front of me: A huge slab of toro, some kind of interesting clam with stuff on top of it I didn't recognize and then, for "dessert," the caviar. It was sublime and delicious.

Sunday's festivities will be in a later post. Suffice it to say, this weekend was a culinary adventure.

And I will certainly be heading to the gym this afternoon.

No comments: