Monday, May 05, 2008

What is the What



Amazing book. Just finished. Highly recommended. Reshaped what I consider to be my place on the planet. I think that's saying a lot.

“I cannot recall the last time I was this moved by a novel. What Is the What is that rare book that truly deserves the overused and scarcely warranted moniker of ‘sprawling epic.’ Told with humor, humanity, and bottomless compassion for his subject, one Valentino Achak Deng, Eggers shows us the hardships, disillusions, and hopes of the long suffering people of southern Sudan. This is the story of one boy’s astonishing capacity to endure atrocity after atrocity and yet refuse to abandon decency, kindness, and hope for home and acceptance. It is impossible to read this book and not be humbled, enlightened, transformed. I believe I will never forget Valentino Achak Deng.”

—KHALED HOSSEINI, author of The Kite Runner


I cannot remember reading something that has stayed with me nearly as much as this book. If you don't read it, you're missing out on something incredible.

1 comment:

Jud said...

I will see if the local lending library has a copy. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have been reading "McIlhenny's Gold" about the family that "invented" Tabasco.