Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tonight

Well, boys and girls, it looks like the research scientist is coming for a visit this evening. We're going to "hang out."

Also in the news, Encephalitis Pete, currently offshore in the North Sea near Scotland, is planning on being in the NOLA area from Tuesday until Mardi Gras day. He has requested the childless Sunshine make an appearance, but since she's delusional, it's probably not going to happen.

Also, I'm nearly finished reading Absurdistan. It's not nearly as good as I had expected (considering the glowing reviews) and I don't think I'll recommend it to any of my friends. Sure, it can be funny, but some of the jokes get repetitive. And sometimes it's just plain disgusting, and not in a funny way.

However, I just started reading The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. It's starting off as a very promising novel.

Also on the reading (it's my current e-book) list is What is the What? by Dave Eggers. It's nothing like anything he's ever done. It's a novel but also basically the autobiography of one of the "Lost Children" of Darfur and is absolutely heartbreaking, uplifting and an unbelievable education on the genocide taking place (still to this day) in Sudan. I'm about a third of the way through and am already recommending this one.

1 comment:

Nat D said...

My, such a well-educated ostrich you are, Archibald!